Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Banned books- oh my!

Do you love to read as much as I do?   I mean, I love it, but usually just read my book at bedtime, (it helps me fall asleep).  Actually I read all the time if you count, reading in the bathroom, (magazines) reading at the dinner table-the newspaper, (I know, bad habit) reading while waiting (in line at the grocery, Doc, dentist etc)  reading facebook, reading text messages, read, read!!!!  And I still can't get enough!!!  I wish I could sit and read a full book in like a day like my sister in law Jenny (well she's busy too, but is a really fast reader).  But I think my problem is, after reading for so long, I kinda get antsie!!  I have to walk away from the book for a while and think about it, or savor it if its a really good one!  Oh man, there's nothing like a great book!!!  It becomes your best friend or lover for a while- you want it with you everywhere you go, you think about it all the time, and you just want to crawl in bed with it and spend hours devouring it!- (I know, nice analogy)      The hard part is- finding a really great book!!!   Some are page turners from the get go, some start kinda slow then build up to a page turner.  Some just don't get started, I lose interest!

Books I loved and thought were page turners-

1.' To kill a mockingbird'- classic and excellent!!  I recommend it when you grow up, you understand it better!
2.' Angela's Ashes', wow.....incredible story!!!
3. 'She's come undone', total page turner!
4. ' Mudbound'- starts from the get-go!
5. 'On the Island', loved it, simple, nice- a total chic book!
6. ' Gone girl', one word-Whoa!!!
7. 'Woe to Live on', beautifully written!! a classic!!
8. 'The Giver', one of my all time favs!!! 
9. 'A child called It', so sad, you will feel so blessed after reading this one!!
10.  My naughty side- 'Fifty shades of grey', yes I read it, yes I am a christian, but I am married and wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't!!!!

Right now I'm reading a book called 'In the woods'.
(I'll let you know what I think about it when I'm done!)

As you can tell, I'm very eclectic!!!  I read alot of different genres!  I don't read, horror, sci-fi, or anything with zombies or vampires!   I do love a great mystery though!!!

From Sept 25-Oct 2 it is ' Celebrating the freedom to read' week.  It is being promoted to read books that have been banned!  Believe it or not at one time or another "To kill a mockingbird" and "Harry Potter" are on this list!!  I believe we should  be able to read whatever books we want and decide for ourselves what we like and don't!   I do however believe we need to use our best judgement when letting our younger kids pick out books!!  They are labeled for a reason- children, youth, young adult, adult etc!!   Help them choose correctly.  But by all means as an adult read all the time, and if you feel like being a rebel- choose a book from the banned list, you might have a new favorite or it might open your mind to new ideas!!!

Goodreads- banned lists, click here 

Read on my friends!!!
PS...what are you reading right now?

 Babes with books (31 photos)
Reading is sexy!!



3 comments:

  1. I just started "The Shoemaker's Wife", so I don't have any opinion on it yet. It's about Italian immigrants who come to the US at the beginning of the 20th century. I just finished RE-reading Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series (in preparation for the next book, the 8th, that comes out in March). My favorite series of books because they've got love and sex and loyalty and history and time-travel and old-time medicine/doctoring and kilts and feminists and all sorts of other goodies all rolled into about 7000 pages (so far). If you haven't yet read them, give them a try. Yowza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I will check them out Kathy!! Do you have them or did you get them at the library? Let me know how The Shoemakers wife is!!!

    ReplyDelete