Saturday, August 17, 2013

Avocado-"mexican manna"

I love avocado!!  I didn't use to, I mean with in the last few years I've acquired a taste for it.   I'm Italian and German, so we didn't keep avocado around-at all!!!    Spaghetti and meat & potatoes were the mainstay in my home!!!  It was a somewhat foreign food to me!  Without tasting it, I thought it looked disgusting!!  I also (for some reason) thought of it as a 'hippie food'  When I was growing up back in the 70's, one of my friends mom had an avocado plant growing in her living room, she was (((Gasp))) a single parent  (not common back then) and in my 10 year old eyes a HIPPIE!  You know how you associate things to when you were a kid.  So I never tried it until recently....and fell in love!


It is fairly bland, but can be brought to life in many different ways!  I love it on sandwich's, salads, and most importantly---guacamole!!!!!   Even my kids love it!!  My recipe is a combo of a few different ones, but nothing new.  Everyone does it their own way-I prefer the easy way!!! 

Not only is avocado a wonderful mild additive to sandwich's and salads etc....it's also super healthy!!!

Some of the health benefits are:

1. Eye Health
2. Oral Cancer defense
3 .Breast Cancer protection
4. Lower Cholesterol
5. Heart Health
etc... 

10 Health Benefits of Avocado

My recipe-
1 ripe tomato
1 onion
1 bunch of cilantro
4-5 avocado's  Make sure they are very dark in color (that means they are ripe)
garlic salt- to taste
garlic powder

Chop everything up and mix it together!  Eat it right away! Oh and I love it with my weekend friend~ Corona!!!!


Cilantro-another gift from the Mexican Gods!!!




My son gives it a thumbs up!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment