Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My Mom's cake (our favorite family recipe)

This is one of my family's favorite recipes-bar none!!!   My mom always made this cake for special occasions- birthdays, family reunions and Easter and Christmas.  We request it as often as we can!!!  It's not anything new, actually it's commonly called 'Texas Sheet cake'.  We call it Cookie sheet cake.

I made it for my daughters birthday recently and wanted to share it with you, my friends!
(I have birthday cake leftovers,  YAY)  ( I can't stop eating it) 

The one difference between how everyone else makes this cake and how we make it is that we Don't add nuts or cinnamon. (usually people add nuts to the frosting, cinnamon to the cake)   The nuts would be fine by me, but I think the cinnamon takes away from this delicious buttermilk cake!!!

*Here's our family jewel- 


Cookie Sheet Cake

1 stick butter                                                        
1/2 cup oil                                                               
1 cup water
4 TBSP cocoa
2 eggs
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk


Icing
1 stick butter
4 tsp. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
4 TBSP buttermilk
1 box (3 3/4) cups powdered sugar 


Cake-   Pour flour, sugar, salt, soda, & eggs in bowl (don't mix yet).
Bring butter, oil, water & cocoa to boil over low/med heat stirring constantly, let boil for a 1 min. pour over flour mixture adding buttermilk last,  beat for 2-3 minutes.  Pour into a greased and floured cookie sheet. Bake 350 for 20-22 min. 

Frosting -   melt butter, cocoa, and vanilla, pour over powdered sugar, then add buttermilk (add more than 4 tablespoon if needed)  Mix well, frost cake- yummy!!!


melt ingredients slowly
bring to a soft boil



add buttermilk

stir well
pour in cookie sheet pan


bake 20-22 min.

done, time to frost!
melt frosting ingredients

add to powered sugar
delicious!!

You will want some milk with this cake!!!

The best chocolate cake, ever!!!!   
Angie

1 comment:

  1. Have had it NUMEROUS times over the years and I can Agree 100% It was a tossup between mrs holberts cake and aunt shirley's the 2nd won with me every time

    ReplyDelete