Tuesday, August 13, 2013

DIY....my summer projects

I love DIY projects!!!  It's a sense of pride to look at something you did all by yourself!! I'm not sure where it comes from because my mom wasn't the crafty type (she has always been The 'I love to cook and feed people' type).   I first started doing crafts when my boys were young.  We did all kinds of fun projects together, including making our own slime, playdoh, popsicle stick art, hand print designs, 60 things to do with pumpkins large and small and of course puff paint projects!!  I even made cute little turtle neck Christmas puff paint shirts one year and had their picture taken in them!!  (don't laugh........well they are pretty funny now)    Boys lose interest pretty fast doing projects so you gotta go quickly!
                                *check out that shirt, and super cheesy smile!!! (1998)     

 So this summer I tried a few DIY projects around my house. I have to say, I had pretty good luck!

The first one was re-doing the landscape in my front yard.   First, my husband and I tore out all the old shrubs, which had gotten totally out of hand and to the height of at least 6-7 feet tall, a little too tall for shrubbery!!    I had the help of my sister because I'm not a perfectionist and she is (thank you Mary) for lining up the pave stones correctly.  It turned out awesome!!
*Everything is tiny right now, but will look great in a few years!!

Next, I painted my bathroom and did something very daring, to me---painted the wooden cabinets!!!   I don't like to paint wood unless it's in pretty bad shape or already a hideous color, (this was not) so this was a little nerve racking!!!  The wood on the vanity was a bit water worn and 26 years old, otherwise in pretty good shape!   But I really wanted a new look and to step outside my comfort zone.  I found this project on Pinterest.

Before

after
 pinterest

The final summer DIY project I did with my daughter was to 'ombre' her denim shorts.  She found this online, not sure where because she went to alot of different sources.  So we kinda winged it!
Here's what we did-

We added LOTS of bleach (way more than the suggested amount) about half a gallon
Laundry soap -1/2 cup or so
And of course water! Lots of water!

We strung the shorts with a few sticks found in the yard and laid them over the bathtub full of the ingredients.  It suggested that we leave them to soak for 3 1/2 hours.   We had to leave them in there for about 30 hours!!!!  I don't know if it's because they are a 'stretch jeans' but the denim didn't want to bleach out!  (I wonder if Lycra or spandex would effect the bleaching process)  Just keep checking on them!!










 They turned out pretty cute and best of all-she is very happy with them!!! 

I had fun this summer trying new things, stepping out of my comfort zone, and finding all kinds of awesome DIY on Pinterst!!!  Whether you like to craft/DIY or cook, or bake, or anything else that takes an effort, just do it!!!  It is exciting and fulfilling, and gives you that prideful moment when someone compliments something you've done all by yourself!!! Challenge yourself to do new things, and aspire to make some changes.  It just feels good!

And hey, you never know, puff paint might make a comeback!!!

Angie












No comments:

Post a Comment