Friday, August 9, 2013

The backbone of my garden

After surveying my outdoor plants and garden areas, I have to say my shade garden is the end of summer winner!!  My front yard landscaped area got a makeover early in the summer so it still looks fresh and new, but some of my potted flowers didn't fair so well!  I don't know if I just didn't choose right, or if they just didn't like their new homes, either way they have a pretty haggard, overgrown and barely hanging on look!   My semi-sunny areas look ok, but I think it's due to the amount of rain we've had this summer and the strong sun rays that make their way down through our fairly heavily treed backyard!    I have just a few sunny spots around my yard so I have to go with mostly shade plants and flowers.

But my pride and joy is my shade garden! It has Thrived!!   Its been so dang humid and damp this summer, perfect climate for a plants that like heat, moisture and not so much sun!!  I have all the typical Hosta's in just about every variety you can get.  I also have Columbine, Tiger Lilies, Ferns, and Coralbelle's, Bugbane, Lily of the valley and believe it or not a beautiful and somehow thriving Calla Lilly!

Most of  the flowering plants in my shade garden are spent, but the one that is closing summer down in beauty and fragrance and is referred to as the 'Backbone of the garden', is the Phlox. 

 The garden and meadow Phlox adds height, nice foliage and beauty to any garden.   Though I think they are typical sun perennials, mine (for some reason) have thrived in the shade!!   I would highly recommend these if you need some height (they can get to be around 24 inches) and want something to bloom later in the summer!!  And they are mildew resistant, which for me means, just water them, they take care of themselves, no special treatment!! Yay!!  And the smell......


The fragrance of these little lovelies is amazing!!  They smell like lilacs and bloom for a few weeks!   I love it when your garden has plants that bloom intermittently.  And the Phlox seem to spread a little each year, so they have multiplied throughout my garden area.  I don't really care about my shade garden being neat and tidy, I would rather it be full and plush and maybe a little on the wild side (did I just describe myself)  HA!  I might add I also love that these were 'hand' me down' plants from my sister-in-law which has meaning and didn't cost a thing!!!
 So, the Phlox wins the blue ribbon for being easy on the eyes, filling in the bald spots, and putting off one of natures most incredible scents!!!



Angie







No comments:

Post a Comment