Saturday, August 10, 2013

The farmers market

I went downtown to the local farmers market today and I have to say- even though they didn't have a ton of vendors, they had some nice produce!  They even had fresh cut flowers, homemade organic soap, pickles, Mennonite baked goods, soy candles and some tasty dips- (I know this because I got to sample some)!! YUM!

Most of the vendor/farmers let us sample, smell, pick up and squeeze and ask lots of questions about their goods.  Like-where are you from, (usually within 20 miles of my city), is this the only farmers market you sell at (no, we sell at one or two others), how did you chose your product name-very important (one farmer said his daughter picked it out because it was catchy or because it is simple).

 In Missouri right now the peaches are in season and oh sooo good!!!   We also have some beautiful and plump melons, fresh corn on the cob, and of course tons of tomato's!!!!  I also saw some hot peppers, garlic, and eggplant.


We also sampled some fresh baked bread, some root beer and some awesome cinnamon rolls!
I ended up purchasing some Raspberry Jalapeno dip, some cinnamon rolls (of course) and some tomato's.  I wanted to swipe the whole table of bread into my bag, but held myself back!!!  Self control... step away from the bread table lady!! ( I can't help it, just the smell of bread is intoxicating!!)



I usually want to buy one of everything, because I love it all, (and because I can't make up my mind) but also because before long these fresh goods won't be available!!  So, go out and support your local farmers market and enjoy the fruits of their labor!!!







2 comments: